CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOG LAYOUTS, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Recipe #10: Spicy Black-Eyed Peas

We're southern.  Well, actually, I (Erin) am from the south. Texas, to be exact.  So, given that heritage, it is imperative that we eat black-eyed peas on New Year's day.  Imperative to me, anyway.  In theory, it brings good luck for the coming year.  In reality, it brings deliciousness to tummies, whether or not luck is involved.

Greg has complained in the past that black-eyed peas are "bland".  So, I made it my mission this year to make some non-bland peas for us.  Well, I think I succeeded, with this recipe from Paula Deen.  Everyone seemed to like the peas (save Lil G), so I think this recipe is a keeper!

SPICY BLACK EYED PEAS


Ingredients

  • 4 slices bacon
  • 1 medium onion, chopped
  • 1 (16-ounce) package dried black-eyed peas, washed (I used 4 (12-ounce) packages of fresh peas)
  • 1 (12-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (I used "mild")
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder (I used 1/2 teaspoon)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
  • 3 cups water (I ended up using about 6 cups)

Directions

In a large saucepan, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove the bacon, crumble, and set aside to use as a topping for the peas. Saute the onion in the bacon drippings until tender. Add the peas, diced tomatoes and green chiles, salt, chili powder, pepper and water. Cover and cook over medium heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, or until the peas are tender. Add additional water, if necessary. Serve garnished with crumbled bacon.



0 comments:

Post a Comment